A JOINT PROJECT OF HOPKINTON'S CONSERVATION COMMISSION AND OPEN SPACE COMMITTEE

Kimball Lake-Description/History

From the parking area at the cabin, follow the gravel road to a footpath along the lake. The original trail, marked with yellow blazes, follows along the lakeshore to the height of land and then loops back through the woods to the shore.

A newer spur trail, also marked with yellow blazes, leads west to New Road, a Class 6 road that connects to South Road. This section of the trail was built by the Hopkinton Conservation Commission after additional land was deeded to the town by the developers of the adjacent Fieldstone Road neighborhood.

There is a short loop off the main trail, marked with red blazes, and a connector trail to Harold Martin School. These trails are part of the Greenway trail around Hopkinton Village.


History

The Kimball Lake property was given to the town in 1982 by the Swiftwater Girl Scout Council who received the property through a bequest from the Kimball Estate. The lake and cabins were developed by two public-spirited natives, John C. Kimball of Manchester and Harold C. Kimball of New York City.

In 1931, the Kimballs hired unemployed workers in Hopkinton to rebuild the former mill dam on Mill Creek, dredge the swamp and create a lake. They constructed log cabins and operated the property as a lakeside resort, Horseshoe Trail Camp, for many years. The Kimball’s purchased the old blacksmith shop on the corner of Main Street and turned it into a restaurant called Horseshoe Tavern.

Residents are encouraged to use this area for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, mountain biking, fishing and canoeing and kayaking.